Friday, April 27, 2012

What type of video card would be the best for my computer my friend told me it takes agp 4x?

the site i was told to check out is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=agp+4x&x=0&y=0

so i was wondering which one to pick im willing to spend about $150 will spend more if necessary but would prefer significant lag decrease in online games like World of Warcraft thanks for your time|||Lag is a function of your network connection and distance from the server, not the video card. But if you are experiencing low framerates, a video card upgrade is what you need.



AGP 4x limits you to older video cards, I believe one of the best ones ever made for that bus was the GeForce 6800 GT.



The most important stat in video cards is the one seldom published: the pixel pipeline architecture. 128 or 256 or 512 MB video RAM does not matter nearly as much as 8 or 12 or 16 pixel pipes.



the Geforce 6800 GT comes with 16 pixel pipes. But here's a trick, you can do what I did, and order a regular geforce 6800, which comes with 12 pipes open, and use Rivatuner to modify it to use the remaining 4 which are turned off by default. It's actually the same card as the GT and you can save a pretty penny. I got mine for 100 bucks on Ebay and modding it was extremely easy, and it still works fine to this day.



My MOBO has AGP 8x but I see no reason why it wouldn't also work on 4x.



One thing I should note is that once I opened up the remaining pipelines, I found that the second monitor port stopped sending the red signal, resulting in color abberations, but since I don't use dual monitors I don't care. Just thought I'd let you know. You can always unmod it back the way it was if you change your mind, which will slow it down but give you dual monitors again.



And I agree with Anonymous X, make sure you have enough power.



Good luck!|||http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…

this is the best, but you'll most likely have to upgrade your powersupply|||The best Gforce you can find.|||Any AGP card will work even if you get an AGP 8x as they are backwards compatible & will run at 4x without you even knowing it. Remember the video card is 1 of 3 major componants for smooth gameplay with CPU & RAM being the other 2 not counting internet connection if its an online(like WoW) game. For modern games like Bioshock & Crysis a good high GHz dual core CPU, 2GB of RAM & a modern high end video card are recomended. Seeing how you have an AGP bus your limeted on good modern cards but you can still get an older Nvidia 7900gs/gt or ATI x800xt that will work just fine, I like ATI but the X800xt is a SHADERMODEL 2.0 card while the 7900 is a SHADERMODEL 3.0 & most newer games require it. Newegg is a great place to buy & has great reviews that you can read to help you choose a good card. Again read the reviews on the cards as they will tell you if they are good or not.



Enjoy & game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment